Xasthur was an American one-man ambient black metal band formed in Alhambra, California in 1995 by Scott Conner, who goes by the pseudonym “Malefic”. Although similar in terms of low-fi production and the wearing of corpse paint, musically and lyrically Xasthur’s focus is usually not on paganism, Satanism or anti-Christian blasphemy – as is common in the genre – but rather on astral projection, darkness, despair, suicide, hate, and death.
The first album Nocturnal Poisoning (recorded April-September 2001) was jointly released by independent record labels Blood Fire Death and Red Stream in 2002. Southern Lord Records re-released a remastered double-LP version in 2005. In the next years, Xasthur’s full-length albums were released through labels such as Displeased Records, Moribund Cult, Total Holocaust Records, Battle Kommand Records and Hydra Head Records. Apart from demo and EP recordings, Xasthur has released several split albums with other black metal acts such as Orosius, Acid Enema, Nachtmystium, Striborg, Angra Mainyu, Leviathan and Nortt.
(Read all at Last.fm)
So here it is, a bit late but I don't care. The final works of Malefic. It's the last album that he recorded under the name of Xasthur. Malefic will continue making music, but no one knows what will come out of this. Enjoy the 14 songs, the album is great!
[ Disharmonic Variations / 2010 / Ambient/Depressive Black Metal / CBR@320 ]
01. Portal of Sorrow (04:09)
02. Broken Glass Christening (03:50)
03. Shrine of Failure (04:27)
04. Stream of Subconsciousness (07:51)
05. Karma-Death (04:20)
06. Horizon of Plastic Caskets (03:49)
07. Mesmerized by Misery (02:52)
08. This Abyss holds the Mirror (07:31)
09. Mourning Tomorrow (02:07)
10. Miscarriage of Souls (03:26)
11. Obeyer's of their own Death (02:31)
12. Released from this Earth (04:27)
13. The Darkest Light (04:37)
14. Hiver de Glace (01:56)